Sunday, April 19, 2015

EarthBox and pesto


ARUGALA!!!!!!!.  


I have an earth box, in addition to my garden and this allows me to start somethings way, way early.  I keep it close to the house which makes it somewhat warmer and easier to start things in February.  Thus said, I usually try to just limit it to cold weather hardy things.  Arugula seems to like the earth box well.  

But, what to do with Arugala?

Well, it is basically a "peppery" kind of green.  Can be used in combination or in place of spinach.  I like the rocket arugala in a pest.  Very, very good and this is what I recently made with the surplus.


I have added my recipe below.  It is slightly modified from one recipe I found on For me, for you blog.


I like to add a few basil leaves for "robust flavor, but it is up to you.

Arugala Pesto
Prep Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

2 cups arugula, packed 
1/4 cups basil leaves
1/2 cup shelled walnuts 
1/2 cup grated parmesan 
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil 
6 garlic cloves, broken up but not peeled! 
salt to taste 

Directions:

Heat a pan with a small bit of olive oil and add the un-peeled garlic. You want to cook them until the garlic inside is soft – the skins will turn a golden brown and start to absorb the oil. It takes roughly 8-10 minutes. Remove the garlic, but not the oil,d let the garlic cool down. Add the walnuts and toast for a few minutes. When the garlic is cool enough, peel the skins off.

In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients except for the olive oil. Once well combined, slowly add the olive oil until smooth. Add salt to taste.  Add the olive oil until you achieve the consistency you want.  Some want a more paste like pesto, while others want a clearer, runnier version that they can use as a dipping sauce for bread.  

******  Cooking the garlic with the skins still partially on gives a "roasted" flavor to the sautéed garlic.  

******The original recipe was slightly modified from For me, for you blog.  I added the basil leaves for a "fuller" pesto flavor, but you can simply leave it with the arugula.

Source: http://forme-foryou.com/2012/10/recipe-arugula-walnut-pesto.html

Sent from Paprika Recipe Manager. http://www.paprikaapp.com

Let me know what you think.........................

No comments:

Post a Comment