Thursday, March 19, 2015

Friday reveal! Repurposed old ladder into herb garden

I could not wait until friday to post, so it is a bit of an early Friday reveal. Ok. So many of you have an old, rickety ladder in the garage that no one uses. A little unstable perhaps. Paint spattered? Half the usable size? What to do? Well, I receive daily Hometalk updates and saw a great idea by SmallTownRabler. Photo and link copied below. She has a great tutorial. http://www.smalltownrambler.com/diy-ladder-herb-garden/
I had such a ladder in my garage. Rarely used. paint splattered. I also had some white high gloss interior/exterior pain leftover from another project as well as a piece of plywood perfectly sized for the bottom rung. Kismet. Fate. Had to be done. So I started out yesterday lugging it out of the garage and gave it a fresh coat of pain, middle of the day because it is still a bit chilly here in Northern Virginia. As the paint was drying, I traveled over to the Dollar Tree. I like this store over other dollar stores because every thing here is truly $1. Bought a planter, and then saw some wind chimes, a thermometer, a garden trowel, etc. and went home. The suction cups on the thermometer did not stick to the paint, so I added a bit of glue and poof, voila. Adherence.
The butterfly wind chimes add a pop of color inside the ladder.
I went to lowes in search of a pail as in the original work, but could not bring myself to spend $19.00 for the item when I had a perfectly serviceable loves canister that needed a $1.98 cover. I concede that it is a bit less stylish that the original work, but I wanted to put my $$cash into the plants. I already had the rosemary, so I planted it in the Dollar Tree planter. On to home depot this morning. Found some Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, Cilantro, and German Thyme. Not too much selection. That was it or I would have bought more. I bought a Pansy pot to fill the hanging basket. On my way home, I drove past Tuesday Morning which I have only been in once since it opened, but I seemed to recall some garden ornaments and such, so I stopped
I bought some glass watering globes (small for $2.99), filled them and stuck them in the herb pots. They are so pretty. Then I found this guy.......
A rain gage ($4.99). Woo Hoo.... How cool is that. Putting it together and this is what I have so far which room to grow. Already smells so nice. Right near the barbecue and a prep table. Just reach over and snip some seasoning.
I will add my watering can to the bottom shelf when next go down to my garden, and then I am finished until I find more plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment